Saturday, October 13, 2012

Accidental Shooting of Michigan 3-Year-old by Himself with Daddy's Gun - Incredibly No Charges

M Live reports

A 3-year-old boy from Pontiac will recover after he shooting himself in the face with his father's handgun, Oakland County sheriff's officials say.
"The initial statements made to deputies indicated that the victim was playing in his parent’s bedroom where he found his father’s handgun and accidentally shot himself in the mouth," sheriff's officials say. 

"A 40-caliber Glock kept in holster under the bedroom is normally locked. The father was moving things out of the room and forgot to lock the bedroom back up."

The child's 35-year-old father has a concealed pistol license, no criminal history and has cooperated with law enforcement.
Why wasn't this man arrested and disarmed immediately?  He is an obvious danger. What kind of investigation is necessary to determine that?

Gun negligence is not taken seriously enough. Many people, especially the self-serving gun owners, believe that it's only serious if bad intent were involved.  If it was unintentional it can be excused. 

That's wrong.

What do you think?  Please leave a comment.

5 comments:

  1. "Why wasn't this man arrested and disarmed immediately?" Well if he was a law enforcement officer, laws don't apply to them so that would be one explanation. As for disarming him, the article doesn't say whether deputies disarmed him. I am almost certain they would have confiscated for evidence the handgun that the child used.

    As for arrest, I am surprised they didn't arrest him (unless he was law enforcement as I stated above). Michigan has child access and safe storage laws. An arrest may happen later as this part of the article, which Mikeb omitted, states, "Child Protective Services were advised of the incident and the investigation, once completed, will be presented to the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office."

    This is another case for safe storage and/or home carry. My firearms are either locked away or on my hip. Either location makes them safe so that my children cannot find them and hurt themselves. And I take my children out to shoot every so often. They see and hear first hand and know that firearms are serious. And it demystifies firearms so children are not so wildly curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like everything you said except that demystifying bullshit. Kids, especially boys are not only attracted to the forbidden and hidden things. They also love to imitate dad. At certain young ages this can be way stronger than all you demystifying.

      Yet, as you said, if the gun is either on your person or in a safe, you've got no problem.

      Delete
    2. I understand that children might still give in to temptation. That is why my approach has multiple "layers" if you will. First, I secure my firearms so the children cannot access them. Second, I try to demystify guns so my children will not feel as intense a desire or curiosity to play around with one if they find one. And finally, I teach them basic firearm safety in case they do actually find one and play with it -- or heaven forbid if a friend starts playing with one around them.

      Those last two measures are important. My children will not find a loaded firearm laying around my house. However, I cannot guarantee that they will not find one at a friend's home, in a ditch, or in a dumpster.

      Delete
  2. MikeB: "They also love to imitate dad."

    Good, because it sounds like Dad follows good practices.

    ReplyDelete