Friday, April 26, 2013

Tennessee Ranks High in Accidental Shootings

Southern Beale

Did you know that Tennessee has the sixth-highest rate of accidental shooting deaths in the country? I read that statistic buried deep in this story about parents and gun safety. You’d think a statistic like that might have been mentioned sooner amid all of the gun loonery foisted on us by the state legislature and their puppetmasters at the Tennessee Firearms Assn. Then again, maybe it was discussed and I just missed it.

With that in mind, I need to ask Greeneville, TN: WTF? This week’s gun report has two separate accidents from Greeneville, and some gun loonery that thankfully didn’t result in injury. Must be something in the water there.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if Southern Beale would allow me to comment on her site, even though I used to live in Nashville and might actually know her in real life. But I'll comment here. The CDC report lists accidental gun deaths in Tennessee as 427 over an eleven-year period. That's about thirty-nine in a given year. (I'm not addressing non-fatal injuries, since the figures weren't given.)

    The estimate for the percentage of gun owners in Tennessee is 43.9%. That's out of a population of 6,456,243, so there are between 2,800,000 and 3,000,000 gun owners in the state. (I'm giving a margin of error here.) So let's say forty deaths out of 2,800,000 gun owners. That's one out of every 70,000.

    I'll take those odds.

    ReplyDelete